Skip to main content

Super Cool Experience at the COOL HOUSE PUB & RESTAURANT in Bangkok, Thailand

Memories that have etched significant impact in our lives are forever worth reminiscing and sharing.  It took me this long to unravel a four-year-old momentous happening from one of my travels in Bangkok, Thailand which deserves to be out in the open, now.  I am thrilled to narrate and publicize in details this bygone yet seemingly fresh memory which I feel vivacious just by the thought of reliving it.


I was quite apprehensive yet too excited to arrive at the location.  I was only given with the address of the restaurant. I have only learned two Thai phrases, and with no wifi connection on my gadget nor cell phone number of my contact to make use of in case we ( I have a companion, by the way) get lost.  Successfully, with an unintentional slight detour by the Thai taxi driver, we made it on time before the event started.  

So what was the event? And how was I invited?

You see, since the time I was introduced to Thai lakorns (TV series), I have overwhelming desires to meet my favorite Thai actor and actress from this particular series: PIN ANONG starring Weir Sukollawat Kanaros and Min Pechaya Wattanamontri. To the extent, and to satisfy my mania with Thai artists, I joined the fan club of Weir Sukollawat Kanaros. Opening an account was a painstaking challenge primarily due to the language barrier, the website was in Thai.  With some help from an officemate, I successfully logged in!  I interacted with the members in the English language and there were a lot of them who welcomed me and entertained my questions.  From the website, you can receive updates of Weir's public activities.  

But this particular event that I attended was not announced on the website. With my new virtual Thai friends, I was invited to an event ( I am uncertain if it was a new opening or relaunch of the coffee shop) slash fan meeting at Weir's pub and restaurant in Bueng Kum district in Bangkok, Thailand named COOL HOUSE.

Showered with the surplus heap of luck, I was scheduled for a travel to Bangkok, the second time around.  It was October 2013 and our trip's schedule was just in time for the invitation I received.  What a coincidence!  And when the day came, the long-awaited excitement came to materialize and my super cool experience in Bangkok was about to transpire. 


Upon arriving the restaurant, we saw these people, possibly club members or from the media team.  They were waiting for the arrival of Weir Sukollawat Kanaros.  Before getting into the restaurant compound, there was a registration area, where I met the president of the Sukollawat Club.  We exchanged smiles and brief hellos and after which she called on my contact / virtual Thai friend.  And there I finally met her, Sawanya Pimthong!  She spoke good English and she was very accommodating and easy to get along with.  


Sawanya was very hospitable to assist us in finding a dining spot.  We were seated right next to her table.  Together with Sawanya were some fellow fan club members from Hong Kong!  I was quite stunned to have known right then that he is famous in Hong Kong too. And for the Philippines, I represented on behalf of his Filipino fans.

With further research after the meeting with Weir,  I have discovered that he has already established international fan base from countries such as Hong Kong, China and across South East Asia.  But in the Philippines,  he also had fans but with no concrete group or club established, as far as I have known.  


It was chow time then and Sawanya was kind enough too to help us in taking our orders.  Here's what we ordered:


One item that got ticked off on my bucket list: 
When in Thailand, eat TOM YUM GOONG!  

If you have read my blog posts on Thai cuisine and restaurants in the Philippines, you can see HERE and HERE, I love Tom Yum Goong with all my heart.  And since Thailand is the home of the authentic Tom Yum, it is a must not to miss it!


Honestly, this is by far the most authentic, delectable TOM YUM GOONG I have ever tasted to date!
I was nonplussed with the presentation nonetheless the soup's taste and the serving size was a blockbuster!


We also tried on their vegetables, which was deliciously healthy, and the fried pork was less mouthwatering as expected.  The serving size of the rice was indulgent.  The soda drinks were served in drinking glasses with ice cubes and bendable straw with a disposable wrapper.

See that petite lady with cute curls and purple sneakers behind me?  
Meet Sawanya Pimthong.

On another note, one great output from this experience was a birth to a new hobby. After reserving several pieces of the advertising table napkins from the restaurant and made it as souvenir from the event, see above photo, left side; a new collection for Table Napkins from restaurants or any establishments had commenced since then.


And in a jiffy, a towering, able-bodied, comely-looking guy in khaki polo, denim pants, and sunglasses walked into the restaurant, and the ladies began to giggle and lightly screamed.  There was WEIR SUKOLLAWAT KANAROS! Omg.


Seeing a favorite actor in real life, breathing, sweating and grinning, was so surreal.  This was my first time to do this kind of activity. My instincts told me to seize the moment, endlessly capture what the eyes have seen and seriously register on my hippocampus even the most minute details of the event.



He stood tall, doing his celebrity thing and I was right in front of him in a sort of exuberantly bewildered state and hyperactive fangirling mode. I was too overwhelmed with what was going on.  



My theme song for this event could have been: 
"You're just too good to be true. Can't take my eyes off of you..." by Lauryn Hill.



Though I have never understood anything he (and they) said nor have comprehended what the event was all about, but I assumed Weir was promoting his coffee shop and the restaurant as well.  With the presence of his fans and the media, the event was a form of publicity for his business.

I was caught in this photo: #feelingphotographer/media


A press conference was held as part of the series of activities for that day and his colossal photo frame with a mosaic of his pictures was the perfect backdrop.  It was then followed by an autograph signing session for gracing the cover of W magazine for that month.


If not for the fans, a celebrity will not reach the acme of success, hence, he must indulge his fans.  A group photo with Weir and his mix of local and international fans completed my day.  Finally, I have an evidence of our meeting and a solid proof of an insanely once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.



A bonus to this event was being able also to meet two of Weir's co-actors in the PIN ANONG series, see photo below.  We were like hitting three birds with one stone!  


My Ratings:
Restaurant Concept = 10 of 10 
(Thai Cuisine, pub-coffee house-restaurant in one)
Menu Options = 8 of 10 
(impressed that it has English translation)
Food Serving Size = 9 of 10
Tom Yum Goong Taste 10 of 10 
(undoubtedly the best, so far)
Overall Food Taste (except Tom Yum) = 7.5 of 10
Restaurant Lay-Out and Interior Designing = 9 of 10
Size of Restaurant = 9 of 10
Restaurant Lighting = 10 of 10 
(since it was daytime, I loved the abundance of natural light) 
Ambiance = 7 of 10 
(since I am not so into alfresco dining,)
Services of Staff = 9 of 10 
(we were treated with special attention since we were foreign fans and)
Money Value = 8 of 10
 (I was there for the event! though we paid for our foods)

OVERALL RATING = 87.72% Recommended


Approximately two hours later from his arrival, he packed up and exited the restaurant, leaving his fans a bit downhearted but with inexhaustible stories to circulate and fanciful recollections to harbor. 



 Cool House Pub & Restaurant (คูลเฮ้าส์) is located at Prasert-Manukitch Rd, Lat Phrao, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10230, Thailand and opens every day from 5:00 PM - 1:00 AM 




This event was just the first from among the series of meetings I have with Weir Sukkolawat Kanaros during every Thailand travel I had since October 2013.  


You can see more of my adventures to meet and greet Weir from my 
January 2014 and October 2014 trips to Bangkok, HERE and HERE.



Travel and Eat good food, every day!

Comments

View my food journey on Zomato!

Follow Me on ZOMATO!

View my food journey on Zomato!

Popular posts from this blog

What / Where I Ate - Mang Inasal

Tea and Coffee Brewer from THE BREW COMPANY QATAR

Food Quest: The Search for the Hottest Instant Noodles (made in Asia) from the Supermarkets in Cebu City